- Calories: 126
- Fat: 4g
- Saturated Fat: 0 g
- Cholesterol: 21mg
- Sodium: 161mg
- Carbohydrates: 19g
- Fiber: 2g
- Protein: 4g
Sweet Potato Pie Recipe Video
Southern sweet potato pie is a perfect Thanksgiving recipe that can be made ahead. Made with less sugar and eggs than traditional sweet potato pie, this easy recipe is light, creamy and delicious.
- 3 Tbsp margarine
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 large egg yolk
- 3 Tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 1 tsp grated lemon zest, plus additional for garnish
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 3 large sweet potatoes (1 1/2 lb), cooked, peeled and mashed
- 1 cup fat free evaporated milk
- 3 large egg whites
- 1 prepared 9-inch pie shell, unbaked
- 1/4 cup fat free whipped topping, optional
- Preheat the oven to 350°. In a large bowl, beat together the margarine, sugar and salt. Add the egg yolk, lemon juice, lemon zest and cinnamon; mix well. Stir in the sweet potatoes and milk and mix to combine well.
- With a hand mixer, beat the egg whites on high speed until stiff peaks form. Fold half of the egg whites into the sweet potato mixture until combined. Fold in the remaining half of the egg whites until combined. Pour the mixture into the pie shell.
- Bake for about 40 to 50 minutes, or until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool before serving. Pie can be made 1 day in advance and kept covered and chilled. Serve topped with a dollap of whipped topping and lemon zest for garnish, if desired.
Nut Allergy: If you have an allergy to nuts or nut products, read the packaging, labels, warnings and directions for all ingredients in this recipe to determine whether the non-nut ingredients in this recipe were manufactured in a plant that processes nut products. We recommend that you do not solely rely on our information. For additional information about a product, please contact the manufacturer.
Copyright 2016 © Baldwin Publishing, Inc.. All rights reserved.
Health eCooking® is a registered trademark of Baldwin Publishing, Inc. Cook eKitchen™ is a designated trademark of Baldwin Publishing, Inc. Any duplication or distribution of the information contained herein without the express approval of Baldwin Publishing, Inc. is strictly prohibited.
Review Date: February 26, 2013
Reviewed By: Christina D. Wright, RD, LDN, Nutrition Editor, Baldwin Publishing, Inc.
Judy Capodanno, Health eCooking Editorial Director, Baldwin Publishing, Inc. Contact Editor
This page created February 1, 2010 and last modified September 23, 2010